Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The unknowns of adoption

Recently there has been a disruption of an adoption in China. What does that mean? It means the family traveled to China to get their daughter, and had to, sadly, leave her there. I am not judging the family, I pray for healing for all of them.

China adoption is different than some other countries, as you know the child you are adopting before you travel. My sister in law adopted from Ukraine last year and had to choose their child there. Meeting these children face to face, to find their child. I don't think I could have done that....

Anyway, it brings me to our adoptions. I remember the day before I left for Kaycee, I sat down with Leonard. I asked him, "What if there is more to Kaycee than we know? What do you want me to do?"

His answer was firm and honest, "She is our daughter, bring her home."

I cried. We had made a committment to Kaycee and no matter what she brought with her, she would come home.

We are both pro-life and we see adoption in the same light. When we were pregnant we opted to not have any of the tests done because we didn't care. No matter what, we were going to give birth to our children and love them no matter their conditions. It is the same with our adopted children.

Noah is older, what will he bring? I can honestly say that from all of his pictures and the information I have received on him, he does seem very healthy and developmentally on target. But what do pictures tell you? What does a couple of sentences tell you?

You never really know until you are there and then some of the issues won't show up until later.

After investigating, I think Kaycee had a very hard first year. She was moved to a second foster home when she was about 18 months where I think she flourished. Up until then, though, in my mother's heart, I believe some awful things happened.

But fast forward almost two years and she is a beautiful, loving, smart, caring little princess. Time with family, loving her and helping her, she has become the child we dreamed of. Kaycee's transition was VERY easy! From the first moment she was put into my arms, she has done very well.

I pray for the same for Noah. 103 days and counting....Looks like September. (I had to get that in in a post...)

1 comment:

  1. I wish you the best with your wait. We waited 100 days pre hague in 07. We are waiting again just now getting ready to DTC. I want to thank you for you post. I am the mother of a bio child that was healthy and happy until Oct 05 and died Jan 06. I get so tired of people asking me "what if there is something...." when they find out we are adopting again..nothing is guarenteed but what is to me is that am a mom to a wonderful bio son, daughter from China and soon to be older child from China. I am right there with you and saying prayers for you wait.

    ReplyDelete